MIPI support

Hello
one of my projects needs a support of MIPI protocol, in order to send camera sensor output via WiFi / BLE. The sensor output should be 1 picture at several minutes… so the stream speed does not important.
I was thinking to use the BW16 (RTL8720DM) module, but I saw that there is not enough GPIOs to direct connection to a parallel sensor, so, I have to use a serial sensor - probably a MIPI sensor.
Does the RTL8720DM can support the very fast MIPI protocol? should I use a parallel to serial (shift register) chip in order to read a stills picture from the sensor?
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi @Evyatar_Nassie ,

No MIPI as far as I know, but according to the demand you described, there can be other options besides MIPI, unless MIPI is a must in your project

Hi @Evyatar_Nassie,

As I understand it, the RTL8720DN does not have on-silicon support for the MIPI CSI interface. You might want to consider other methods, such as this Arducam camera which uses a FPGA to convert the parallel camera format to SPI.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

even the recommended sensor is very expensive, I may use it, since I don’t know any other serial camera sensor…

‫בתאריך יום ד׳, 17 בפבר׳ 2021 ב-12:43 מאת ‪wyy via Realtek Ameba IOT Developers Forum (RTL8722 RTL8195 RTL8710 RTL8720) - IOT / MCU Solutions‬‏ <‪ameba@discoursemail.com‬‏>:‬

Thank you very much…

I should look for other solutions as you suggested…, but looking for a serial camera sensor (I2C / SPI) is probably not a simple mission…
Thanks again!

‫בתאריך יום ד׳, 17 בפבר׳ 2021 ב-12:18 מאת ‪SimonXI via Realtek Ameba IOT Developers Forum (RTL8722 RTL8195 RTL8710 RTL8720) - IOT / MCU Solutions‬‏ <‪ameba@discoursemail.com‬‏>:‬

@Evyatar_Nassie Do check out this camera that wyy pointed out, it works very well with SPI

thanks I’m on it right now…

‫בתאריך יום ד׳, 17 בפבר׳ 2021 ב-13:24 מאת ‪SimonXI via Realtek Ameba IOT Developers Forum (RTL8722 RTL8195 RTL8710 RTL8720) - IOT / MCU Solutions‬‏ <‪ameba@discoursemail.com‬‏>:‬