Platform IO support?

Are arduino tools and libraries for Ameba IOT, suported in Platform IO environment (inside VS code)…
if so, are there any tutorials available ? to enable Ameba IOT board support in platform IO.

IDE : VS code
Tool: Arduino IDE + Platform IO
Also windows 10 user

3 Likes

Hi,

the Arduino cores and libraries for the Ameba development boards are not yet supported in the PlatformIO VSCode extension. You will have to use the Arduino IDE to compile and upload your project code, but it is still possible to use VSCode as a code editor.

1 Like

Came here to say this - lack of first-class PlatformIO support from the Ameba product team is what’s putting me off from choosing Ameba for my next project.

This is a highly requested feature in Ameba space, see:

There are also 3rd party attempts to integrate the Ameba SDK to PlatformIO but no completions e.g:

PlatformIO is really a hot thing in MCU development now.
Failure to provide PlatformIO wrapping for SDK is to be left behind.

I like the Ameba chip; please consider official PIO support!

1 Like

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the feedback, I will be sure to forward it up to the product team.
To clarify, is the requested feature to support the Arduino cores in PlatformIO, or the current GCC C SDK?

1 Like

The current GCC C SDK. It’s common that a Microcontroller’s C SDK gives full control and access to powerful tooling, but takes a significant amount of local environment setup to make use of. Conversely; Arduino is very easy to set up - because the toolchain has been packaged in a standardised way - but the Arduino platform comes with some designed-in limitations (it’s supposed to be suitable for beginners). With PlatformIO, you get the best of both worlds; a board/chips full, intended development environment, just made available through a standardised ‘PlatformIO’ format that can be used from VSCode, JetBrain’s CLion, Command-line and other tools. I hope I’ve explained that well enough, suffice to say, check out PlatformIO, it’s really making waves in the hobbyist/microcontroller space.

2 Likes

Thank you @Christopher_Hatton for your suggestions, we will look into the possibility with PlatformIO, stay tuned for updates~

Hi,
Same request here. We have ESP32 projects that we would like to migrate to RTL8720DN to gain access to 5GHz Wifi (a function that is sorely lacking on ESP32 at the moment). Unfortunately the lack of PlatformIO support from Ameba is a crippling obstacle to this migration.
Do you plan to support PlatformIO in the near future?
Thanks !

3 Likes

There are Arduino, MicroPython and Realtek C standard SDK, these should be enough to get started with any project…

Porting to new platform means a lot of effort to do and maintain afterwards, so it takes time… unless someone in the community starts first

Just a note to say I still cannot work effectively with Realtek Ameba Board without PlatformIO support.
Also I don’t have the time nor presently the knowledge to implement it myself :slightly_frowning_face:

In case anyone is ‘on the edge’ about spending this time; I have added another $50 USD bounty for this issue on BountySource.

So whomever can implement a good PlatformIO support for the Realtek Ameba SDK can currently claim :moneybag: $95 USD :moneybag:

I’ve added a number of links and possible hints toward integration on the GitHub issue.

@xsutter depending on your situation and desire for this, it might help to make the bounty even more attractive? :grin:

4 Likes

sounds interesting ~

1 Like

So now, is there any way I can now program a RTL8720 using Platform IO?

Platform IO support is currently pending, we will see if there are makers from community willing to take the lead and supports will be provided if so

Came to +1 support for Platform IO. You would win over so many people trying to bring a 5GHz solution coming from ESP world. This can’t be done easily without Platform IO support. Unfortunately I don’t believe you have much time as I’m confident ESP has a 5Ghz chip well underway.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, support on PlatformIO has been discussed internally and with the PlatformIO team, however, the PlatformIO team couldn’t provide community support as they used to so it will have to be a business contract if any support were to be provided from their side.

Porting to a new platform requires quite a lot of manpower, and it’s not worth it if only a few people would actually need it and even fewer like to contribute, that’s why it’s still under pending as we like to see if there is any community efforts to start off. If there is, we would love to help in any way possible.

1 Like

I second the need for PlatformIO support. We currently have a commercial product that uses the ESP32 on PlatformIO and are considering migrating to a device that supports 5GHz. The lack of PlatformIO support is a hurdle that weighs against selecting the RLT8721DB because of the extra effort to change to a new platform.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedbacks~

1 Like

+1 for PlatformIO.

Currently our commercial projects rely on ESP32, but due to lack of 5Ghz we are looking for another platform.

We’ve buyed fiew AMB82-mini dev boards and started prototyping, but we’re not gonna use them for commercial products until PlatformIO (and OTA…) will be supported.